Everything Cloth
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Join us to discuss everything and anything about cloth diapers, modern mommying, and more!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Baby's First Food

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Baby's First Food Empty Baby's First Food Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:26 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin

So Baby A has been on cereal for the past month (rice, then oats). We attempted to introduce mashed avocado earlier this week, but she got a couple hives and I'm not sure if that's what it was from, but it scared me off of avocado for now at any rate.

I was thinking I want to try something else in the next day or so as she'll be 6 months old any day now. I wanted to stay off the bananas for now because they're just SO sweet. What do people think of steamed & mashed up carrots or sweet potatoes? Is this too intense for a "first" food? I'll probably start by combining it with the oats to ease her into it anyways.

TIA for the advice!

http://everythingcloth.com

2Baby's First Food Empty Re: Baby's First Food Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:01 pm

kmleo07

dd2 loved sweat potato and carrots at that age. Avocado is an acquired taste!

http://www.greenearthbabyworks.com

3Baby's First Food Empty Re: Baby's First Food Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:37 pm

mictherr

All of my babies (I have had 4 Smile) had yams as a first food. It's very palatable, and yes - is strong in taste, BUT they seemed to be very well received. Carrots, on the other hand, were never a big hit Smile Are you breastfeeding? Typically sweeter fruits/veggies are better to start with as they are more like breastmilk in the natural sweetness factor.

I usually skipped the cereals, so the yams really were a FIRST food. All of my kids are fabulous eaters and are not picky at all.

4Baby's First Food Empty Re: Baby's First Food Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:56 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin

Thanks, ladies, especially @mictherr--this is actually really helpful as I was worried by that old wives' tale that says not to give your baby things that are too sweet at first, lest they become a picky eater. I've heard that's not exactly true, but it worried me nevertheless as DH's entire family strongly prefers fruits to veggies. I want our little DD to enjoy a wide range of healthy things, especially in our northern climate where veggies and not fruits are a more practical staple!

I'm definitely thinking yams is the way to go! From there, I can bridge into carrots/beans etc and maybe work my way back to bananas & blueberries just to ease my paranoia Wink

http://everythingcloth.com

5Baby's First Food Empty Re: Baby's First Food Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:00 am

heopowers

heopowers

I had a dietion tell me not to worry about the whole sweet thing because babys taste buds are more geared towards sweet then savory. Because Bmilk is really sweet. My little guy loves sweet potatos still. I started by making his cearel with the sweet potatos instead of bmilk or water caus my back up milk stash was tiny.

6Baby's First Food Empty Re: Baby's First Food Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:56 pm

nursemommy03

I believe it was sweet potato for her first food, or actual potato, i can't quite remember Laughing

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum