Everything Cloth
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Join us to discuss everything and anything about cloth diapers, modern mommying, and more!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Best Budget Recipes

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Best Budget Recipes Empty Best Budget Recipes Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:14 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin

I don't know about you guys, but if you're like us, the end of the month always gets a little low in regards to our food budget (and everything budget Laughing) ...

I was thinking we should all share some of our best "budget" recipes--you know, things with cheap ingredients that fill you up, and go a long way. I find a lot of these simplest things can also be very healthful.

Here is what DH and I have been into lately:

Clamato Spicy Tomato Lentils

Preparation Time: 15 minutes Cooking Time: 45-50 minutes Difficulty: Easy
Yield: 8 servings

* 1 cup dried lentils
* 10 cups water
* 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 1 clove garlic, minced
* 2 teaspoons oregano, dried
* 2 teaspoons cumin, dried ground
* 1 teaspoon salt
* ¼ teaspoon black pepper, coarse ground
* 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
* 2 cups Clamato®️ Tomato Cocktail

Directions

1. Rinse and sort lentils. Put in a large pot with water, bring to boil, reduce heat; cover and simmer 30 minutes or until tender.
2. Drain, transfer to bowl and set aside.
3. In same pot over medium heat; heat oil, add onion, garlic, oregano and cumin; cook 5-10 minutes.
4. Add lentils, salt, pepper, diced tomatoes and Clamato, reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes.
5. Sever lentils with rice or soda crackers.

We've been serving this "stew" over plain-cooked quinoa with a runny poached egg overtop of the whole medley. Yum yum! The other day I threw some diced carrots in to cook with the mix as well, or the time before that, I roasted some brussels sprouts on the side and had those. This is a great, meatless meal that goes a long way and "sticks to your ribs" as my grandma would say Wink

By the way, I have heard you don't have Clamato in the states. Basically, it is like V8 juice, but with clam juice in it as well. We use it to make our alcoholic "Caesar" drinks (kind of like a bloody Mary...), and always have a bit left over in the fridge, so I thought I'd put it to good use. I'm sure you could substitute tomato juice with a little Tabasco as well!

http://everythingcloth.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]